4.26.2005

my flirting skills need work.

In an earlier post, I presented this theory:

"Blogging is the answer for people who lay awake at night and realize the hilarious/biting/brilliant/perfect comment they should have said much earlier and at a specific moment in the the day."

This is one of those posts.

Tonight I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts to look for something I needed for my final project for 3D Design. The guy who helped me was, well, helpful, and also very friendly, and reasonably cute, although a few years younger than me. At the register (I almost wrote "as he was checking me out" but that has too many meanings in this context!), he said "You probably have a boyfriend, but can I have your phone number?" I just kinda smiled and froze for a few seconds, then realized that he actually needed my phone number to enter in to the system. I just gave him my phone number, then handed him my debit card. We chatted more as he finished the transaction, mostly about art stuff, because I had told him earlier about my project. Anyway, it wasn't really a big deal, and I'm sure the "I'm sure you have a boyfriend" line is just that--a line he probably uses on every female who comes into the store.

The thing that I'm concerned about is my own response to that line. What if he had have been a guy I was actually attracted to? I would have been even more flustered, I'm sure. As I was driving home, I thought of fifty things I should have said, mainly "Well, actually, I don't have a boyfriend... my number is..." Simple enough, right? Yet I couldn't think of a darn thing to say other than to stammer out my phone number. I'm sure this happens to everyone at one time or another, but it seems like it happens to me all the time. I like to think I've gotten over the shyness that I was known for when I was little, but I suppose it still springs up now and then. Anyway, I don't really know what the point of this post was, other than to vent about my poor spur-of-the-moment repartee' skills.

I also could have said, "Oh, I bet you use that line on all the ladies..."