1.09.2005

A back-to-school lamentation in which I use too many cleverly-crafted hypenated adjectives

It was back-to-school beer 'n' notebooks night at Wal-Mart. I (foolishly) thought I could purchase one of my trusty Five Star college-ruled five subject notebooks at a store somewhere in Springfield. I made my first mistake when I passed on the last one at Target because it had a blue cover and there was dirt of some sort on the side of the pages. I thought, "I need to pick up a few groceries anyway, I'll just get one while I'm at Wal-Mart." The office supply aisle at Wal-Mart (actually, the whole store) was FULL of Coors-Light-toting frat boys and SMSU-hoodie-wearing messy-ponytailed dorm divas. And there were NO notebooks for any of them. None. I don't think there were even any pink and teal Lisa Franks left. I didn't even bother with the groceries, deciding to stop at the Price Cutter across the street from my apartment instead. There indeed were Five Star college-ruled five subject notebooks (even one with a nice neutral olive green cover!) at Price Cutter. FOR EIGHT DOLLARS! I didn't realize the price 'til the overly-chatty checkout boy scanned it. Eight bucks probably isn't that much more than I would have paid at Wal-Mart, but I panicked and told him I didn't want it after all. By this time, it was nearly 8:00 pm on a Sunday night, and all the office supply stores were closed. I resigned myself to a whole semester of inconsistent note-taking because I would spend the first day of class with a legal pad instead of the Official Notebook of the Spring 2005 Semester.

Before you start feeling too sorry for me, however, I found a little-used Five Star in my file cabinet from a handout-heavy semester which required me to abandon it for a more accomodating three-ring binder/looseleaf setup. I emptied it of its few written-upon pages, tucked it safely inside my bookbag, and I can now sleep soundly knowing I will be able to keep one semester's worth of notes in one high-quality, long-lasting notebook.

Tomorrow: a report on my first day of classes.