11.20.2004

What liberal ringtones?

I must admit that I'm guilty of contributing to the billion dollar industry that is the cell phone ringtones market. But so what if I like to hear the Super Mario Bros. theme or a tinkly version of Sweet Home Alabama instead of a really tinkly version of The Entertainer when my phone rings?

I was surprised as I was browsing the newly available ringtones on my phone the other day and came across voice clips of President Bush, Vice-President Cheney, and President Reagan. However, it was an unpleasant surprise considering they highlighted what many on the left view as blatant lies (or big mistakes or badly-timed jokes) of these great conservative men. I heard Bush declaring major combat over in Iraq, Cheney promising that Saddam Hussein possessed WMDs, and the famous clip of Reagan joking that he'd signed legislation outlawing Russia and bombing would begin in five minutes. You can go listen to these clips for yourself on the Modtones website.

Modtones is one of the several purveyors of ringtones offered by Alltel. I've been very happy with my Alltel service, but I will be emailing both Alltel and Modtones about the blatant liberal bias of their offerings. If they're just trying to be funny or ironic, why not offer Kerry's "I actually did vote for the 87 billion dollars-- before I voted against it," or Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"? Or even better, in the spirit of "healing" that seems so pervasive today, why not the best, most positive quotations from many different politicians and other great figures such as Martin Luther King, Jr. and JFK? Those are the questions I'll be posing to both Alltel and Modtones. I'll let you know how they respond.

UPDATE: I've emailed Modtones, but I decided to wait to see how they respond before bothering Alltel.

UPDATE 2: Monday afternoon, 4:30 PM CST. No reply from Modtones yet.